Sunday 13 March 2016

Day 1 - 14th March 2016

A bit of an odd start to my new 12WBT adventure...


I decided to sign up on a whim last night, after seeing the email in my inbox that the new round started today. Previously, I've tried to do the right thing, with pre-season and warm-up activities and all. This time it's more spontaneous, so we'll see.


Feeling a bit flat today - the BBQ king is in Perth attending his uncle's funeral. We're all feeling pretty shocked as said uncle was only 68, had no prior medical history and was just getting going on enjoying a well-earned retirement. And suddenly, life can be over, just like that (he suffered a massive heart attack at home last Sunday morning). He was a wonderful man, with a loving family and so much left to give to the world. The inequitable distribution of life is a big one for me - my own mother died at 56 of breast cancer, which she battled for 14 years before finally succumbing.


Anyway, onto 12WBT. Given my late sign-up, I haven't shopped or prepared at all for the different food I'll be eating. Nor have I told the BBQ king of this change to my (our) lifestyle. I don't think he'll mind - he's keen to lose a bit of weight too, after a recent slightly high cholesterol reading.


So... I didn't do a great job for breakfast. The junior fashion queen chowed down on several slices of sourdough with vegemite, and I made myself a (plunger) coffee as usual. Couldn't find any baked beans in the pantry, which were my breakfast standby in previous rounds, and didn't get any further. One positive - I "only" had 1 1/2 tsp sugar in the coffee, instead of the usual 2. It was fine - barely noticed the difference.


Lunch fared a little better, finished off some beetroot tzatziki, which I noticed is on the 12WBT recipe index now (loving this new improved version, by the way!), on a small pide, and a cob of corn (no butter). Feeling good. Haven't had any water to drink yet - I think I'm chronically dehydrated out of habit.


A trip to the supermarket is in order, after dinner with the in-laws to coincide with the funeral in the West...

No comments:

Post a Comment